Sunday, May 21, 2006

Treasure Hunting Runs in the Family

Scintillation counter(fancy geiger counter), geologists picks, and dry rockers for gold is what my dad played with and he dragged his wife and four children along with him. We scoured the Missouri creek beds looking for fossils (Indian beads). He collected heaps of books on The Lost Dutchman Gold Mine. We even looked for the Lost Dutchman Mine in The superstition Mountains of Arizona. His awe and delight in treasure found included the usual gold and silver ( he had some original silver bers stamped with Father Kino''s brand from early Arizona days), all kinds of antiques, or his many outlandish character friends. We were entertained by one friend of his who moved the butter dish with his mind and we had old codgers with huge horns on their truck and an Indian squaw in tow come rapping on our door. We had Lebanese Mafia childhood friends come calling too. How could I ever be satisfied with so called "normal" friends. These amazing characters are the treasure I seek still today also and of course The Opal! Dad died in 1983 after a visit to check up on my safety in the town of Lightning Ridge, Australia a black opal mining field. He came to me on the day I was hiring the Caldwell bucket auger drill to drill my very first shaft with his checkbook in his hand asking if he could pay for the drilling and be a kinda partner in my mining. He prefaced it with "You probably want to do this yourself but can I...?" To this day I am soo happy that I said yes. Dad passed away three months later having had three months to brag to his friends and anyone in earshot that he was partners in an opal mine in Australia. My mom always supported me in my adventures and never said it but I am most positive that she thought it when thinking about what I have done with my life...."It was all Dad''s fault."
To see what I do and why I do it go to www.ParchedEarthOpals.com