Friday, May 12, 2006

True Security or a Dog collar Hooked to a Nail?

Security often is a frame of mind. Precautions can be taken, awareness made a priority, and then dumb luck enters the picture. I don''t mean to belittle our country''s security sector. There are a lot of serious responsible participants trying to make our country safe from criminals and terrorists. However, as I watch security measures at work (and bear in mind I am privy to very little security insider information) I feel there is a correlation between our security measures (that I am privy to) and the pathetic little dog collar and a nail that was my "lock" to my outback camp in the Lightning Ridge, Australia opal fields. I camped three kilometres out of town in the scrub alone with no dog to warn me of intruders. My theory was that the collar ripping out the nail would have to make a noise if the door was forced open and give me time to grab my hockey stick. There are many operations at work to secure our country no doubt. Well, I also had a tin door in front of which I sprinkled large gravel so that if someone pushed that door open to enter, a loud resonating grating rattle within my tin hut gave me alarm before they ever reached the dog collar door to my bedroom (which was an old 1948 bus by the way) the tin shed was the annex to my bus camp. I used to laugh at my so called security but still felt comforted and more safe by hooking the dog collar every night before I retired to my bed at the back of the bus. I think we all feel better about our "security measures" in today''s terrorist climate but in the back of my mind there niggles a thought that perhaps it is only dog collar and nail security.