Thursday, May 04, 2006

Civilization Turns Me into a Weenie

As I chopped the onions for the stuffed bell peppers, I wondered about pestisides, as I mixed them with the hamburger meat I wondered about mad cow disease. It made me glad that at least in preparation to cooking I not only washed my hands but then used the antibacterial hand wash. Whaa... the....? In the Outback of Australia I scooped water for my tea out of bilibongs that the local kangaroos, sheep, wild goats, and cattle stood into to drink, too. Never gave a thought to it (I do boil the tea water afterall) When hunkering down around a fire eating a tin plate of something unidentifiable that some old codger of the bush had been simmering for a week I gleefully stuffed my cake hole while exchanging stories of lost mines, found bonanza strikes of opal, and the skulduggery that surrounds such events. Tearing over deeply cut rough old dirt tracks winding thru opal fields with open 75 foot deep shafts alongside never worried me much but the city freeways surely do. In the bush I''m not worried about my speed limit, whether my insurance is paid, or whether my car is registered or not. The road conditions and the fact I am utterly alone with noone for miles around keeps me careful not fear of a traffic ticket or a radar gun or a stoplight camera. It rains a bit and I hesitate to drive 30 miles to cold call on art galleries and sell a few opals. In the bush you run out naked in the rain if its been hot or stand with hands on hips in middle of the downpour giving yourself and your old dusty work clothes a good rinse. There isnt a tv to distract you from the real and alive wonders of being in the thick of Mother Nature. I timid-up here in the city. Here there are rules and the brainwashing of television begins to get to me I guess as much as I hate to admit it. They talk of allergies, deadly molds, rampant cancer, pains of arthritis, and the dreaded clogged arteries. It can turn anyone into a hypochondriac and a customer. I must be very wary of these personality rearrangers while in the USA. I have to fight the wimp syndrome daily.Hmmm wonder if I dare run naked in the back yard this next upcoming downpour?